1) Cruelty. How animals are imprisoned and too often suffer before slaughter is a mark of shame against humanity. We should be lucky to never similarly have a more powerful species hold us in such disregard, treat us so cruelly before killing us in such vast, incalculable numbers, now approx. 100,000 every minute. That is a literal estimate. Over 50 billion people would have to be born every year to keep balanced our population, our maximum lifespan not exceeding 13 years. If humans killed each other at the rate that we kill animals, we would be extinct in 17 days. Only recently have we been taught the value of human life in regard to race, nationality and sexual orientation differing from ourselves. We know that if someone offers to show us a film of producing animal meat, it will be a horror movie; when something is so horrible we can't stand to look at it, perhaps it shouldn't be tolerated or contributed to.
2) Climate Change. Methane produced by humanity's livestock accumulating in the atmosphere is the greatest of our contributions to changing Earth’s climate. Electric cars and public transport and LED lights and recycling, though all great, have altogether less contribution than would humanity simply not eating animals. All reduction is beneficial. A global shift towards a vegan diet is vital to save the world from hunger, fuel poverty and the worst impacts of climate change, says the United Nations Environment Programme.
3) Mass Extinction. Natural wildlife has been replaced by humans and their bred animals, creating the Earth's sixth mass extinction. Between 1970 and 2010, populations of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fish dropped 52%, says the World Wildlife Fund in 2014: 39% of terrestrial wildlife gone, 39% of marine wildlife gone, 76% of freshwater wildlife gone – all in the past 40 years. In contrast, there are now 1.5 billion cows on earth.
5) Empathy. For those who hunt, why eat a happy, long life wild pig or deer any sooner than a similar pet cat? Pigs are as intelligent as dogs and chimps. They all feel the same basic emotions as humans, personalities, minds. No one wants to be hunted. If you eat meat, you love pets, not animals. Pigs are smarter than dogs, they dream, can run up to 11mph, can recognize their own name at just 2 weeks old, and love belly rubs.
6) Antibiotic Overuse. The antibiotics and hormones in our water supplies come ~97% from the growth hormones fed to otherwise sickly group-confined livestock, accumulated as run-off wastewater from those animals's urine and after human consumption. Also, so much unnecessary antibiotic use strengthens the resiliency of bacteria, which transfer resistance genes to human pathogens and contribute to the diminishing effects of hospital antibiotics for human use. The animal meat industry now consumes 80% of all antibiotics, says the Food and Drug Administration 2012. In contrast, organic livestock means more sick animals and killed wildlife and less controlled feces runoff.
7) Viral Outbreak. Viruses crossing between species due to close contact of livestock and humans have included swine flu, bird flu, and the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic killing 50-100 million people, or around 4% of the human population beyond countless animals.
8) Inefficient. Livestock is wasteful of resources. During the final months before being killed, a cow is fed about 10x more food value than its muscles produce, mostly grain and soy which could otherwise feed humans. 100 Cal beef = 1,000 Cal grain. This excess feed needs 1,000% extra labor and fertilizer and pesticides and water to grow, which along with run-off manure washes away into our waterbed and chokes nearby freshwater ecosystems. Animal products also require far more packaging, particularly with plastic. 40% of corn is used for ethanol to add to fuel; another 40% is used for livestock feed.
9) Longer Life. An animal consuming diet is linked with increased cancer risk, in particular prostate and colon, and associated with high cholesterol, diabetes, Alzheimer's disease and several other chronic diseases. Processed meat is classified as Group 1, meaning there is convincing medical evidence it causes cancer.
10) Thrifty. Non-animal food costs less money, then stores easier and safely longer.
How many meat eaters does it take to change a lightbulb? They won't! Their ancestors didn't have lightbulbs and neither do lions.
Wie viele Fleischesser braucht es, um eine Glühbirne zu erwechseln? Sie werden es nicht tun! Ihre Vorfahren hatten keine Glühbirnen und Löwen auch nicht.
Vegans have absolutely no reason to lie about conditions of meat, dairy and egg farms. By exposing those industries, they do not personally gain anything. But there are billions of dollars riding on animal agriculture. Think long and hard on that before accusing vegans of propaganda and brainwashing. Do-gooder derogation is the backlash reported by moral minorities, traced to resentment by the mainstream against feeling morally judged.
11) Why does a cow make milk? Do you know what happens to the calves? Dairy cows are mechanicaly rape-inseminated once a year for live births which are then immediately taken from their mothers and killed or penned. The mom's life is reduced from twenty years to five years (worn out, so slaughtered usually for leather) and the calve's lives to usually about a day (soft leather).
12) Hens do lay fertilized eggs which are hatched and sexed, all male chicks being immediately killed.
©2015-2018 T. Nathan Roane, vegetarian since April 2nd, 1993 and aspiring vegan for 2016 using B12 supplements